Delicate, ethereal and finely detailed, Colleen’s works encourage the onlooker to slow, look closely, engage the imagination and connect with the cycle of life around us. Her meticulous art making process requires her to do the same.
Drawing on her background in horticulture and landscape design, Colleen’s unique art practice is a celebration of nature, both wild and cultivated.
Her delicate three-dimensional paper sculpture and mixed media works are reminiscent of herbarium and entomology specimens. Each finely drawn, painted and assembled piece is mounted onto paper using entomology pins, giving the appearance of floating. The delicate nature of the works and transient play of shadow signifies the fragility of the subject.
Colleen exhibited for the first time in early 2018 with a sell-out result. Her work was awarded the celebrated Little Things Art Prize People’s Choice Award in 2018, selected for the 2018 Artisans in the Gardens exhibition at the Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney, and finalist in the 2019 Outback Art Prize.
- November 2017 – current. Artist – full time, practicing paper sculpture and mixed media artist. This practice has grown exponentially since late 2017 and has become a full- time pursuit.
- 2010 – November 2017. Practicing landscape designer specialising in hand drawn and rendered plans and commissioned aerial illustrations of gardens and properties. This has been largely put on hold to enable pursuit of professional art practice.
- Finalist, Little Things Art Prize, Saint Cloche Gallery, 2019
- Finalist, Pro Hart Outback Art Prize, Broken Hill Regional Gallery, 2019..
- Finalist and winner of the Viewer’s Choice Award, Little Things Art Prize, Saint Cloche Gallery, Paddington NSW, 2018.
- Recipient of the TNSW State Medal for Excellence in Horticulture, awarded for excellence in horticultural practice, design and drafting and hand rendered plan illustrations.
- Rekindled, Saint Cloche Upstairs, 2019
- Essentiae, Gallery One88, Katoomba May 2019
- Unfurl, Corner Store Gallery, Orange NSW 2018. Joint exhibition with sculptor Peter Worsley. This was Colleen’s inaugural exhibition and was a sell-out.
Group Exhibitions (by invitation or application)
- Here and Now, Orange Regional Gallery, 2019
- Finalist, Pro Hart Outback Art Prize, Broken Hill Regional Gallery, 2019
- 8 x 10, Corner Store Gallery, Orange NSW 2019
- Artisans in the Gardens, Royal Botanic Gardens Sydney, 2018
- Finalist and peoples choice winner, Little Things Art Prize, Saint Cloche gallery, Paddington NSW 2018.
- Blue, Corner Store Gallery, Orange NSW 2018
- Just a Square, Darling Mills Gallery, Mittagong NSW 2018
- “Into the Wilder” Corner Store Gallery, Orange NSW, solo exhibition November 2019.
- Suki and Hugh Gallery Bungendore, March 2020 (details to be announced)
- 2017 – current: Since the launch of Colleen’s work at the Unfurl exhibition, over 50 private commissions have been received for paper sculpture/mixed media works, with works also being sold into the United States.
- 2010 – current: Private commissions taken for aerial illustrations of gardens and properties for various clients within the Central West region.
- Member by invitation, The Journeyperson arts collective, Orange NSW.
- National Association for the Visual Arts.